- Seagate Support »
- Seagate Seatools For Windows
How To Use Seagate Seatools For Windows?
- How To Download And Install Seagate Seatools?
- Steps To Fix Seatools USB Not Booting Issue
- Seagate Hard Drive Beeping No Light – How To Fix?
- How To Fix Seagate Hard Drive Not Recognized Mac?
- How To Install Seagate Hard Drive On Your Computer?
- How To Fix Seagate Hard Drive Corrupted And Unreadable?
- How To Update Seagate Hard Drive Firmware?
- How To Fix Seagate Hard Drive Not Being Detected?
- How Do I Fix Seagate Hard Drive Failure?
- Solved: Seagate Hard Drive Not Working
Seagate’s SeaTools for Windows is a diagnostic tool that helps you check the health status of your internal or external hard drive installed or connected to your computer. This tool is easy to install and use.Continue reading this page to know “how to use SeaTools for Windows” in detail.To use SeaTools for Windows, first, ensure that it is installed on your computer. Next, prepare your computer (scroll down this page to know more about the same) and launch the tool on it. Select the desired drive to test followed by the Tests type. Fix the detected drive issue by following the prompts displayed on the screen.To know more about using SeaTools for Windows, scroll down this page.
Preparing Your System
Close All The Applications
- Generally, when running a hard drive diagnosis, it is always better to run only the diagnostic tool on your computer.
- When you run two or more applications on your computer, there is a chance for this software to access the data stored on the drive, which may stop the diagnostic tool (SeaTools) from performing its current process.
- So, close all the applications before running this tool on your computer.
- External hard drive: Use USB, 1394, eSATA, or Firewire to connect your EHD to the computer.
- Internal hard drive: The internal hard drives connected to your computer are mostly identified as SATA or PATA. Sometimes, they are also identified as SCSI or SAS.
Maintain A Proper Power Supply
- Usually, the long hard drive test process takes more time (for example, more than one hour) to complete.
- So, ensure that your computer is fully powered on or your laptop is connected to the AC outlet, which can provide sufficient power during the test process.
- Modify the power management settings on your computer if necessary. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Open the Control Panel screen.
- Click on Power Options.
- Locate and disable the Turn off hard disks option by setting it to Never.
Launching Seatools For Windows
- Locate the SeaTools for Windows software icon on your computer’s desktop screen.
- Now, double-click on the located app icon to launch it.
- Alternatively, open the Programs screen. Select Seagate > SeaTools for Windows.
Note: Before running the hard drive test, ensure that your important data is backed up from the corresponding drive.
Select The Desired Drives To Test
- Launch the SeaTools for Windows app on your computer by referring to the instructions given above.
- Now, you can see the list of internal and external hard drives connected to your computer displayed on the app’s main screen.
- The model number, firmware revision, device status of the connected drives are also displayed on the main screen.
- Now, locate the drive(s) you wish to test and click the checkbox beside it or them. (You can select more than one drive at the same time).
Select The Tests Type That You Wish To Run
- After selecting the drive, choose the type of test you wish to perform.
- To do so, click the Basic Tests option available at the top of the screen.
- Now, you can see a list of tests options, such as Fix All, Short Drive Self Test, Drive Information, Short Generic, Long Generic, and Advanced Tests displayed under the Basic Tests option.
- Select the desired tests option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you have selected Fix All tests, you will get the options, “Fast” and “Long.”
- Fix All Fast: Helps you identify suspicious sectors.
- Fix All Long: Identifies the problematic sector and helps you reallocate it.
Aborting The Diagnostics
- You can end or abort the hard drive test process at any time during the on-going process.
- To do so, locate and click the Abort Test icon in the menu section.
Contact us to know more about SeaTools for Windows.