- Seagate Support »
- How To Clean Up My Corrupted Hard Drive?
How To Fix Corrupted Seagate External Hard Drive?
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Backup Plus 3TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Backup Plus 3TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Backup Plus 3TB?
- How to find out the backup files on Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive?
- Eject Backup Plus 3TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Backup Plus 3TB
Hard drive corruption is one of the most commonly occurring problems in today’s computers. There might be a single reason or a combination of reasons behind your computer’s hard drive getting corrupted. First, we shall see the various symptoms (or signs) that will tell you that your hard drive is corrupted. Then, we can look into the ways how to fix corrupted seagate external hard drive.
Symptoms Of A Corrupted Hard Drive
- Your hard drive will become RAW and you will see a “disk needs to be formatted” error message.
- Your hard drive will have a drive letter in My Computer. However, it might become inaccessible and the following error message will be displayed:
- You need to format the disk in the drive before you use it.
- You will find a “Sector Not Found” message.
- You might see the appearance of weird characters in your file names.
Now, let’s see some of the causes that lead to hard drive corruption. And then, we shall continue to learn the methods how to corrupted seagate hard drive.
Reasons Behind Hard Drive Corruption
- Sudden loss of power supply.
- Issues caused by a virus infection.
- File system errors.
- Bad sectors.
- Physical damages to the hard drive.
Whatever the symptoms and whatever the reasons, the result is always going to be a corrupted hard drive. So, to fix it, we need to look into some troubleshooting methods. Therefore, let us dive into the methods how to fix corrupted seagate hard drive on a Windows computer.
Before we get into the troubleshooting methods, try the following simple fix first:
- Check the power supply. See if that’s the reason behind your seagate hard drive corrupted.
- If your computer cannot detect your hard drive, try using the drive on another computer.
- Now, continue reading to find out the methods to fix or clean up your corrupted seagate hard drive on a Windows computer.
Method 1 – Performing A Thorough Check
- On your Windows computer, navigate to This PC.
- Right-click on your hard drive and choose the Properties option.
- Click the Tools tab. Then, go to the Error checking section.
- In this section, click on the Check button.
- Now, select the Check local disk option and then click on Start.
- You can now close all the open and running programs. Then, choose the option to let your system check on the next boot.
- Finally, restart your computer.
- Check your hard drive and see if it functions properly.
Continue reading to learn how to use the next method to fix a corrupted seagate hard drive.
Method 2 – Try Running An Antivirus Program
Since viruses or other malware can be the reason behind the corruption of your hard drive, try using an antivirus software on your Windows system. Running an antivirus scan could fix the corrupted seagate hard drive and make it accessible once again.
Method 3 – Running An SFC Scan
- In the Search box of your computer, type cmd.
- From the displayed options, focus on Command Prompt.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and then select the Run as administrator option.
- In the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- In case you are using an external drive, type in the command given here: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
- In the above command, replace the letter C: with the letter of your hard drive.
- You have to wait patiently for the scanning process to complete.
- Restart your computer and check whether you can access your drive.
- By now, you should be able to use your hard drive as usual.
You have now cleaned up a corrupted Seagate hard drive successfully.