Seagate Expansion Portable 1TB Disk Error Checking for Windows
- How to connect Seagate Expansion 1TB
- Windows 7 or Vista requests Drivers
- Expansion 1TB Hard drive not detected
- Connect Expansion 1TB External Drive to a USB port.
- How to Use Seagate Expansion 1TB
- How to find out the backup files on Expansion 1TB Portable Drive
- Eject Expansion 1TB Safely
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking on Expansion 1TB
This procedure is provided for performing the Microsoft Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error checking utility called Checkdisk.
- If you are using a Windows 8 operating system, press Windows key ( ) + X together.
- If you are using Windows 7/Vista/XP operating system, go to My Compute, right-click on it and choose Manage.
- Click on Disk Management.
- To view the Disk number (Disk 1), right-click on the partition box that is found to the right of the box in the bottom of the Disk Management Window.
- Choose Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the Tools tab and click on it that is visible in the Properties menu.
- Click on the Check now option.
Please Follow the Command-line Procedure To Execute CHKDSK Command
- For Windows 8 operating system, click the Windows key ( ) + X together on your keyboard, and then choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- For Windows 7/Vista, go to the Start menu and look for Programs and Files using Windows Search option.
- Type cmd in the taskbar provided and press the Enter key.
- For Windows XP, go to the Windows Start menu, and click on it.
- Choose Run and in the Run window type cmd and press the Enter key.
- On the Run window, type chkdsk x:/f x is the letter assigned to the external hard drive that you wish to check.
In order to test the Seagate, Maxtor-brand, and Samsung external hard drives on Windows, we recommend to use SeaTools and complete the process.
The steps below illustrates you on how to use SeaTools for Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking – Windows.
In order to use the SeaTools, it is important to download and install the SeaTools software on your Windows computer.After the SeaTools installation, launch it by following the steps below:
It is easy to launch the SeaTools program if you already have a SeaTools icon on your Windows portable, else follow the steps below.
- Go to Windows Start button and click on Programs.
- Click Seagate and choose SeaTools for Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking Windows.
A – Prepare the System
- Before performing a hard disk diagnostic, close all the running applications on your computer. The closing of applications will allow the drive to maintain its focus on SeaTools.
- If the above step does not happen, then the Windows will proceed to give the external hard drive disk commands to access the data that are required by other applications.
- If the drive is busy, SeaTools will temporarily append its current progress. Hence ensure that the drive is not busy while using SeaTools software.
- The SeaTools tests possess much time to complete the diagnostic process.
Identifying Sea Tools’ Drive for Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking:
This is brought to your kind information that the Seagate Expansion Portable 1TB External hard drives that are connected to the system through USB, 1394 FireWire or eSATA do not acquire the same background activity as the External drive.
PATA (Parallel ATA or IDE), SATA (Serial ATA), SCSI, or SAS (Serial-Attached SCSI) are recognized as External drives. Most of the portable and notebook systems consist of an SATA or PATA External drive.
Keep the computer powered on completely:
While performing a very long test, the power management controls may require a postponement.
It may take few hours to finish a full scan drive on your computer. At the time of the full scan, the external hard drive works on its own. It is the system’s decision to let the drive work in a Standby or Hibernate modes.
- On the bottom left corner of your Windows portable, click the Windows icon button or the Start button.
- Choose Control Panel and click on it.
- Click the Power option.
- Ensure that the setting Turn off hard disks should be set to Never while the SeaTools for Windows test is running.
Plug in your laptop computer:
- Do not perform long tests on your Laptop by just using the battery power, as these tests are very delicate and severe. It consumes more current than a typical usage profile.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the AC adapter to acquire adequate power during the process of the test.
B – Select the Drives to Test
- The various storage devices on our system are displayed on your computer screen, once the SeaTools software is loaded.
- Enable the check mark in the box next to the drive letter or information. Now choose your drive.
- The Model Number and Serial Number information of the drive are also displayed on this screen.
- The Seagate external hard drive’s model numbers start with the letters “ST”. Seagate serial numbers are alphanumeric and eight characters long.
- The serial number and the model number of the external drive are frequently displayed for Windows SeaTools inside the external case.
- The Seagate assigns numbers to the external unit as a bulk and these serial numbers do not relate to the numbers.
Identify that the Seagate, Samsung, LaCie and Maxtor Seagate Expansion 1TB portable external hard drives models are provided a gold drive icon and the Non-Seagate drives will be assigned a silver drive icon.
Meanwhile, choose more than one drive at a time to test them
C – Select the Tests to Run
Choose from the below tests that you would like to perform so that the test is initiated immediately for Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking.
List of tests included are:
- Long Generic (May take several hours to complete)
- Fix All
- Drive Information
- Short Drive Self-Test (20 to 90 seconds long)
- Drive Information
- Short Generic
Fix All Mobile
Your system will perform the Basic Tests that are data safe and read-only tests.
- To identify the doubtful sectors on your Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive, the Fix All Mobile test uses the drive’s activity logs, which may or may not be correct.
- The SeaTools program verifies each and every item in the list and if it detects any issue in the program, it will try to reallocate the specific sector.
- If the above step is successful, then the SeaTools moves on to the next step. If not successful then it states that the test is failed within an approximate duration of 5 minutes.
Fix All Long
Fix All Long test method implements a sequential scan of the media and identifies the problematic sectors and tries to change them when it is noticed. The duration of the test is very long and may consume several hours of approximately 3hours per TeraByte
Short Drive Self-Test
- Short Drive Self –Test is built into the hard drive’s firmware. Most of the drives run a clear and usual diagnostic procedure when you launch the DST. DST is a completely data safe firmware.
The Short Drive Self-Test is compatible for most Seagate Expansion Portable 1TB Drive problematic situations.
- Similar to Short Drive Self-Test, the Short Generic test, crosschecks various areas of your external hard drive.
- The Long Generic test is a more extensive test that reads each and every sector on the drive to fix Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking.
But it consumes more time to finish due to being a long test. It also depends on the speed and capacity of the disk drive.
Due to the lack of the drive activity, it leaves the impression that the drive or software is not responding.
- The Fix All test has the capability to fix the problem LBA’s (bad sectors). It consists of two options of the Fix All tests, mobile and long.
- Ensure that all your data is retained or backed up before running any of the Fix All tests.
- Using SeaTools will rearrange the problematic sectors and the actual data of a specific sector become unreadable and already lost.
- It is possible to keep the problematic sector with nil data unless the drive is loaded with full of data.
D – Aborting the Diagnostics
- If the diagnostics process is completed, in the program installation folder a log sheet for each drive is saved.
- In order to view the log file, click on Help and select View Log File.
- Click on Pass Info or Fail Info based on the test results to view the log. Then click on Help option when the test is completed.
- Three tabs Pass Info, Warranty Checker and View Log File will appear on the screen.
The following conditions may relate to the test results to fix Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking:
- The SeaTools for Windows test will result with a PASS status. To eliminate the hard disk drive as the source or open cause of your computer problem, the SeaTools for Windows is a useful testing tool.
- An external hard drive may also be healthy and also have corrupted data. In such case we recommend you to perform a chkdsk operation.
- Failing in it, then the data needs to be re-installed, re-saved or recovered.
- When the system detects Bad sectors (LBAs) during the test, the Fail status will be displayed.
- SeaTools for Windows is capable of repairing bad sectors using the Fix All option below the Basic Tests button.
- The bad sectors can also be repaired through using Chkdsk option.
- If the Chkdsk software denotes a FAIL status of the test and the external hard drive used for testing uses a USB or 1394 type of bus connection; consider the Fix All Long option.
- Ensure that you backup all your data before running the Fix All option.
- It becomes difficult for the Seagate Recovery Services to recover the data from an unreadable sector.
- For data recovery options and troubleshooting steps, contact our customer support team to resolve the issue. The necessity to contact the customer support occurs only if you require all your data or cannot lose any of the data.
- Enable the check mark inside the box that is next to the serial number to run a Fix All option.
- Click on Basic Tests, then float your mouse over the Fix All option and click on “Long”
- Your computer window displays a popup intimating you to back up your data and describing the test.
- Press F8 key on your keyboard to initiate the “Fix All” selection.
- If the external hard drive repair is unsuccessful the SeaTools will FAIL.
- If the issue persists even after the SeaTools failed to repair the bad sectors, we recommend you to check the warranty of your external hard drive and look for a replacement.
- We recommend you to run the Long Test in the booting version of SeaTools for DOS if you are testing an External PATA (IDE) or SATA disk drive, which is capable of repairing bad sectors too.
- Run the “Fix All” tests on an External drive that runs your operating system too will make the test to consume more time.
- The bootable DOS version of SeaTools allows the tests to run much mobileer.
Burn the ISO file to a CD to run the SeaTools, and then reconnect the disk and run the Long Test from the same place.
- The SeaTools for DOS ISO is found in the SeaTools software for Windows program files installation folder.
- At the end of the test, when you run the Long Test SeaTools that displays a list of problems on LBA’s(bad sectors) and prompts that if you wish to repair all of them or one at a time.
- We recommend you to check the warranty status of your external hard drive and initiate the replacement process with your hard drive manufacturer. Look for the replacement only if the test fails to repair the bad sectors.
Note: Please make certain that SeaTools for Windows sometimes displays the serial number and even the model number of the External drive inside the external case. This happens only with the Expansion 1TB external drives. Verify the drive label in order to check the serial number is correct during Expansion 1TB Portable Disk Error Checking.