Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 5TB Drive Not Detected
- How to connect Seagate Backup Plus?
- Windows 7 or Vista requests drivers
- Seagate external hard drive not detected
- connect your external hard drive to a USB port.
- How to use Seagate External Hard drive?
- How to find out the backup files on your External Hard Drive-Seagate?
- The drive is busy or in use.
- Moving data between two systems
- Seagate-S drive Missing
- Windows Disk Error Checking
Troubleshooting – Check the Power cable for Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected Issue.
There are two criteria that you need to check before you proceed with the below steps.
- You are installing the Seagate Backup Plus 5TB external drive for the first time and the computer does not detect it.
- You have already installed the external drive and it is not working when you currently plug it in.
- Check if the power cable is connected properly to the external hard drive and to the wall’s power outlet.
- Remove if your computer is connected to any USB hubs, extension cords, etc.
- Try connecting the seagate Backup Plus 5TB desktop external hard drive to your computer directly from the wall’s power outlet.
- Ensure that the direct power outlet is working properly and the Power Cable is connected to it firmly.
- When you switch it on, the light on the external hard drive and the power adapter are lit up normally.
- If the medium of power supply to the Backup Plus 5TB hard drive is through USB cable, make sure that the cable is connected to the drive and your computer properly.
- Confirm if the external hard drive and your computer are turned on. Try removing the drive from your computer, if possible.
- Detach the FireWire Cable or the USB of the seagate external drive. Remove the plug of the power supply from the external hard drive.
- Turn off your computer. Disconnect the power cord from the computer and wait for 60 seconds.
- Re-plug the power cord to the computer. Switch on your computer.
- Provide power supply to the external hard drive. Connect the FireWire cable or external drive’s USB and check is you are able to detect the drive.
Troubleshooting steps for Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected on Windows 7 and Vista
There are four different methods to identify if your Seagate external hard drive Backup Plus 5TB is detected by the computer.
- Check the Power Cable connectivity.
- Check if the data cable is connected properly.
- Using Disk management check the Partition and Format Status of the drive.
- Check the status of the Drive using Device Manager.
Check the Power Cable connectivity
- When you connect your Backup Plus 5TB desktop hard drive’s cable to the computer, within in 30 seconds of time, it will appear on a separate drive with a letter E or F or any other letter provided by the operating system.
- In Windows 7 the AutoPlay window will not appear, whereas it appears within 30 seconds in Vista whenever the drive is plugged in.
- On the lower right corner of your computer screen, a small notification box appears displaying that your drive is ready to use.
- Either you can use the open the folders using AutoPlay option and directly access the drive (E, For G etc.) or double-click on the drive letter and View files using Windows Explorer on your computer.
- To move the files on your computer drag-and-drop, or copy-and-paste the data you wish to obtain from the drive to fix Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected.
- If the above steps work well, then the drive is functioning normally. Launch it manually or install the Seagate/ Maxtor software to use it.
Before we get into a step-by-step description of the troubleshooting procedure, let us see the findings when you connect your external drive and turn it on.
Check if the data cable is connected properly
A data cable is a medium of communication between your computer and other peripheral devices (externally connected devices) connected via USB 1/2/3, FireWire (400/800), or eSata Cable.
- The procedure is the same for newly installable external drive and previously working one.
- The error message found on your computer is drive not found or drive or detected.
- If your computer detects the drive after removing the dock, then the fault is with the dock.
- To resolve the above issue, we recommend you to follow the below Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 5TB Drive not detected troubleshooting steps.
- To check if the drive is not in a sleep mode.
- Redetecting the external hard drive follow the below steps.
- Check if the Backup Plus 5TB external drive’s password is not locked.
The error message found on your computer is drive not found or Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected.
Follow the below instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
- If you are connecting the seagate Backup Plus 5TB drive on your computer, make sure that the FirmWire/USB cable is correctly seated on its port to the rear side of the computer.
- If you face any issue with your existing USB port, try connecting the same to a new USB or FireWire port.
- Based on the type of external drives which are powered only by USB, viz., Maxtor Basics desktop, some Free Agent Go drives, the Maxtor One.
- Touch mini, and the Seagate desktop drive contains two USB connectors in the USB cable.
- In such case, connect the USB port with the two free connectors for utilizing maximum power.
- If you have connected your Backup Plus 5TB drive to any hub or dock, remove it and connect it directly to the computer.
If your computer detects the drive after removing the dock, then the fault is with the dock.
- Do not connect the external Backup Plus 5TB hard drive through a USB hub or on the USB port on a keyboard or your computer screen as of now.
- If your device is connected through USB, the other USB devices sometimes may interrupt detecting the external hard drive. The other USB-connected devices can be a printer, a camera, a scanner, a modem, or a VoIP device etc.
- To resolve the above issue, we recommend you to follow the below troubleshooting steps.
- Exclude the keyboard and mouse, and remove all the USB devices from your computer.
- Detach the external hard drive too from your computer.
- Turn off the external hard drive’s power completely to solve Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected.
- Shut down the computer, switch it on and then turn it on by pressing the power button on your CPU (Central Processing Unit).
- Turn on the external hard drive once the computer is turned on and set to use.
- Check if the Seagate Backup Plus 5TB hard drive is detected while you connect it to a USB port on the rear side of the computer.
- If your computer detects the external drive while fixing Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 5TB Drive not detected, then the fault is the conflict among the other USB devices.
- To find out which one is faulty, connect it one-by-one and experiment it.
- If the drive is still not detected, follow the below troubleshooting instructions.
Steps to check if the drive is not in a sleep mode
Sometimes, few Seagate Free Agent or Maxtor One Touch drives cannot be detected after a certain period of being inactive.
Only the Free Agent and the Maxtor One Touch 4 have a sleep function mode that causes the drive non-detected while it is kept idle.
For redetecting the Backup Plus 5TB drive follow the below steps:
- Remove the drive from the power supply.
- After a waiting period of 30 seconds, turn it on; then convert to external drive Backup Plus 5TB detected.
- If the above step does not work, change the sleep interval to Never through the driver’s Manager Software.
- To cancel the sleep mode in Windows, you can follow the below procedure as well.
- With your mouse right-click on My Computer or This PC.Select the option Manage. Click on the Device Manager.
- Choose Universal Serial Bus Controller. Double-click to open the 1st Root Hub.Navigate to the Power Tab.
- Check if the drive is connected to it. If not, try to connect to the next Root Hub.
- If it gets connected, go to the Power Management Tab. Remove the checker on the box that displays Allow computer to turn off this device to save power.
Check if the external drive’s password is not locked
- Few drive models like Maxtor Black Armor, One Touch 4, One Touch III and One Touch II contains an inbuilt password function that stops the drive being detected.
- As a first step, check if the drive’s password is not locked to fix Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected.
- Go into the Disk Management or My computer to verify if the drive is locked. If the above step does not work, change the sleep interval to Never through the driver’s Manager Software.
- To unlock the drive, initiate the One Touch Manager software and enter the password. To cancel the sleep mode in Windows, you can follow the below procedure as well.
- If you do not have access to the software, go to our website and look for the appropriate password software that helps you detect your drive again.
- An alternative solution to unlock the drive password is to download the One Touch 4 Lite Software and use it. With this software, you can unlock the following drives even without having a password.
- Maxtor Black Armor
- Maxtor One Touch 4
- Maxtor One Touch III mini
- Maxtor One Touch III
- Maxtor One Touch II
You can download the One Touch 4 Lite software from our website.
Using Disk management check the Partition and Format Status of the drive
The below instructions are similar to a new installable external hard drive or a drive which was connected earlier and unable to detect currently.
Through Disk Management, it is possible for you to check the status of the drive partition and its format to fix Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected.
The status here indicates the health of the external hard drive. The Disk Management utility helps you to discover the type of partition.
- Check if the partition of the Backup Plus 5TB Desktop driver is corrupted:
- If you do not see a Healthy status or something similar to that in the box to the right of Disk 1, 2, etc. and if the color of the stripe is black, then the drive is unallocated.
- If the color of the partition is blue or green, then the status is present. But the absence of the drive letter states that the partition is corrupted, or not supported by Windows.
- It also indicates a labeled format as RAW, then it is confirmed that the partition of the drive is corrupted or lost.
- To resolve the corrupted partition issue, follow the below steps.
- Right-click on the Disk1, 2, 3 etc. and choose the option Delete Logical Drive (which is optional).
- Right-click the above option and choose Delete Volume or Delete Partition. Click on OK to confirm it.
- The drive becomes Unallocated and instead of the blue or green stripe, a black stripe appears. Format the drive.
Check the drive’s status using Device Manager
The below steps are applicable for checking the driver’s status for both new installable and a previously working external hard disk.
- Locate the Windows icon which is on the left bottom corner of your computer and click on it.
- Go to My computer and right-click on it; choose the option Manage.
- Click on Continue once the User Account window appears to fix Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 5TB Drive not detected.
- Select Device Manager through Computer Management, which is situated on the left-hand side of the Tools window.
- Expand the Disk Drivers by clicking the Plus (+) sign which is next to it. The computer will display the external hard drive information if it is detected.
- If the hard drive for not detected, search it under the Other Devices option.
- If you find an Unknown Device under Other devices, double-click on it.
- You may receive a message that this device is not working properly along with Code 28 or Code 10, under the General Tab.
- Code 10 indicates that the drive or drive’s power supply has failed. If you have another external hard drive that is in a working condition and has the required power specifications, try connecting the fault external hard drive with the good power supply.
- For error code 28, then it is important to test the external drive on your computer. If your Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop Drive not detected and it is detected on another computer and working properly, then the latest Windows Service Pack has to be upgraded to your computer.